What qualifications do you need to volunteer abroad?
For the majority of our Standard Projects, there are no requirements. All you need is to be committed to making an impact. This also extends to our Teaching Projects – you do not need a TEFL certificate or be a professional teacher to get involved. If you do have qualifications, we will welcome your experience and skills.
At some of our projects, you will need language skills and/or a certain level of experience before you can join. The specific project page will tell you if this is the case.
Are there language requirements?
Language is not a mandatory in all of our projects and not required to speak any specific languages other than English. Few of our volunteers are able to speak the local language before they arrive. It is an advantage to learn a few basic phrases but it is certainly not necessary to be fluent! At our Care and Teaching Projects, volunteers teach English in English – this is what schools want, and it helps us work towards our goal of helping underprivileged children improve their English.
There are some exceptions where a basic, intermediate, or advanced knowledge of the local language is needed to participate in the project. This is often for more professional projects like Journalism, Law & Human Rights, and Medicine & Healthcare, or for French and Spanish speaking countries. The project page will specify if any language skills are required. If you are unsure of your language capabilities, please contact us and we will let you know if you’ll be able to participate.
In many of our destinations, it is possible to take language lessons if you want to improve your language skills. When you apply, please tell us in the application form, we will help you to learn basic level of speaking skills. Knowing local language can break gab and bridge connection with local people, staff, partners’ organization and community across.
Are there age requirements?
Above 18 years old and older. Our entire project has age Exceptions. This project also accepts volunteers who are 17 years old and younger with a letter of consent from a parent or guardian. The majority of our Standard Projects only require you to be at least 17 years old to participate, so anyone aged 17 and older can volunteer with us. Some projects do require you to be older than 16, but if this is the case, it will be stated on the project page.
Here are the general age requirements for all of our projects.
- Volunteer Abroad: Anyone (17+)
- Intern Abroad: Anyone (17+)
- High School Specials: Teenagers (17-19)
- Alternative Spring Break Trips: University age (18-22)
- Global Gap: Gap year (18-19)
- Projects for Professionals: Professionals (25+)
- Grown-up Specials: Anyone (50+)
General Basic Requirements
- Minimum age 18, maximum age 65
- Basic or intermediate conversational English
- Good physical fitness
- Strong work ethic
- Ready to travel anywhere
- Take up leadership role
- Motivation to do physically demanding work
- Able to work in harsh desert climate
- Highly independent
- Full travel and medical insurance
Not mandatory. However, it’s so important while we screen your application and meet legal status of the Indian government.
If you have them, you can scan and email them at email@example.com, when you submit your online application form.
- Application Form (submit online)
- Latest certificate
- Consent letter from your University (If you are a student)
- Updated CV in English
- Photocopy of your passport
- Indian Visa
- Confirmed flight tickets
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Motivation letter
- Parent consent letter
- Age proof (College ID card, voter ID, Passport copy etc)
- Address proof of your permanent or current residency (Phone bill, electricity bill etc)
- 3 passport size photos (submit when you arrived India)
- Police clearance (If necessary)
Any questions and enquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org